Spinal surgery refers to surgical procedures performed on the spine to correct the injuries related to the spinal cord. In spinal surgery, it involves procedures related to correcting spinal deformities, relieving compression on nerves, removing tumors, or correcting the spine. It focuses on relieving the pain while correcting spinal injury. For assistance can check Spine Surgery in Ludhiana.
How to know you need spine surgery
Some significant symptoms are
- Difficulty in walking and standing
- Significant pain and numbness in your leg
- Leg and Back pain
- Feeling weakness in the back
- Medication and physical therapy don’t give relief
Types of spine surgeries
There are different types of spine surgery depending on the specific conditions and needs of the patient.
- Spinal Fusion: This surgery is executed to fuse two or more vertebrae in the spine to stabilize it and reduce the pain. It prevents any kind of movement in the fused vertebrae.
- Discectomy: This surgery includes the procedure of removing the damaged part of the spine to relieve the pain and pressure on the nerve.
- Laminectomy: This is a surgical procedure in which a part of the vertebra called the lamina, is removed.
- Artificial disc replacement: In this surgical procedure a damaged or degenerated disc is replaced with an artificial one to maintain spinal mobility.
- Spinal Decompression: In this surgical procedure, the main aim is to relieve pressure on the spinal cord or nerves by removing bone causing compression.
Activities and restrictions need to be followed after surgery
- Ice your incision 3-4 times
- Don’t sit in the same position for longer hours
- Get up and take a walk for 5-10 mins every 3-4 hours
- Avoid bending or twisting your back
- Avoid lifting heavy things
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid activities that require great physical work
Risks included in the spine surgery
When it comes to any surgery, including spine surgery, there are some general risks included in every procedure, such as Infection, bleeding, nerve damage, blood clots, or complications related to anesthesia etc. It is important to understand that these risks can vary depending on the specific procedure and individual factors.
Suppose you are feeling any kind of symptoms related to the problem of the spinal cord. It is best to suggest consulting a professional neurologist, such as a Neurologist in Punjab, who can analyze your condition properly and guide you with your situation.
What are the results?
Spine fusion works for the broken spine, reshaping the spine and making the spine more stable.
The study results are mixed when the cause of the back pain and neck is unclear. It depends on the specific situation being treated. After surgery, many people experience a reduction in pain and an improvement in their ability to move and perform daily activities.
The major results of the surgery are largely up to you. Keeping a positive attitude and diligently performing therapies, maintaining a healthy weight, and using correct posture and lifting techniques to avoid re-injuries.
For all of the above, it is best to consult with a qualified spine surgeon, such as Spine Surgery in Ludhiana or Neurologist in Punjab, who can provide more specific information based on your situation.