What is a spinal cord injury?
Spinal Trauma Or Spinal Cord Injury surgery & Treatment in Ludhiana, Punjab, SCI stands for ‘Spinal Cord Injury’ which is a medical term for spinal cord damage. The condition is likely to result in physical trauma and can greatly impact the person’s daily life. The problem can result in:
- Permanent changes in strength
- Sensation level changes
- Other body functions below the injury site get affected.
The spinal cord is the bundle of nerves and other tissue that the spine vertebrae protect & contain. The spine contains nerves and they reach to the brain which goes down the back and ends near the buttocks. The spinal cord works as the primary source for sending messages from the brain to the rest of the body parts. The ability to move the limbs and notice the pain is through the spinal cord only.
If the spinal cord is suspected of an injury, the messages will not be able to get through. Below the injury site, there can be:
- Total or complete loss of sensation
- Loss of mobility
Dr. Jhawar can help you identify the right kind of treatment for you and your loved ones. His excellence and treatment approach is the perfect example of what makes him the best neuro spine doctor.
Do you know?
The prevalence of SCI is higher in men as compared to women and most of the people who sustain the injury are between the age of 16 and 30, because of their reckless behavior.
How does spinal cord trauma or injury take place?
The problem is likely to occur due to violent accidents or unpredictable events. Some of the situations that can result in this are:
- Gunshot or attack of stabbing
- Diving into the bottom of the water hits hard.
- Falling from a significant height
- Torso middle part getting twisted severely
- Electrical accidents
- Car accident trauma, especially to the head, face, chest, neck, and back.
- Spinal or head injury during a sporting event
What are the signs and symptoms of spinal cord trauma?
Some of the notable signs and symptoms are mentioned below:
- Trouble walking
- Signs of shock
- Loss of control of the bowel or bladder
- Extremities have tingling or numbness
- Problem moving legs or arms
- Pressure, ache, or stiffness in the neck & back
- The Head is positioned wrongly
What are the signs of an emergency?
If you are suspected to have SCI, then here the necessary measures which you should take:
|Call For Emergency||Call 112 right away. The sooner you get medical help, it will help you feel better.|
|Do Not Move Unnecessarily||Only, if it is necessary then the move should be moved. You can only reposition the person’s head or remove the helmet.|
|Stay Still||In such cases, the patient should stay still as much as possible. Even if they feel they can walk or get up they should not do that.|
|Perform CPR||Cardiopulmonary resuscitation can be done, if the patient is not breathing. The jaw can be moved forward but do not tilt the head back.|
On the arrival at the hospital, the doctor will perform diagnostic procedure which includes:
- CT scans
- X-rays of the spine
- Evoked potential testing, which measures how quickly nerve signals reach the brain
What are the measures to prevent spinal cord trauma or injury?
As mentioned above, the problem happens due to unforeseen events, so taking the necessary measures will reduce the risk.
- While driving, always wear the seat-belt.
- While playing sports, wear the protective eye gear.
- Before you dive into water make sure it’s deep and with no presence of rocks.
- You should never drink and drive
Do you know?
Around 85% people with this situation are alive even after 10 years, especially those who survived the crucial 24 hours.
Even after SCI, individuals are able to live a normal life. Although in most cases, assistive devices are needed like wheelchairs and walkers to move freely. For more information about the spine trauma treatment, book your initial consultation with our neuro spine doctor.