What is a vascular neurologist?
Vascular Neurologist in Ludhiana, Punjab, A Vascular neurologist is a professional to address patients concerned with cerebrovascular health. It includes spinal cord and brain blood vessels. He has the expertise to diagnose and treat various problems like:
- Spinal cord Hemorrhage
- Brain Aneurysm
Vascular neurologists are also experienced in preventing & reducing problems and disability from cerebrovascular issues.
What does a Vascular Neurologist do?
- The neurologist will ask you about your medical history and make you understand cerebrovascular health.
- Performs a physical examination which helps to check the general health, vital signs, blood pressure, and nervous system health.
- Provide diagnosis and treatment of chronic and acute conditions which affect the brain & spinal cord blood vessel.
- Provide screening, treatment, and monitor the condition which increases the risk of the brain & spinal cord issues.
Do you know?
Vascular neurologists are known by the name of stroke specialists, brain doctors, brain blood vessel doctors, and brain specialists.
What are the symptoms when you need to see a vascular neurologist?
Consulting the experienced doctor for timely medical intervention or preventive care will reduce the problem getting serious. If you do so the risk is reduced manifolds. Some of the vital signs tell you the urgency to seek assistance from a vascular neurologist.
- Back pain, neck pain, headache, numbness, weakness, or dizziness. The doctor will tell you whether there is a need to get any special evaluation.
- Problem with speech, memory, balance, coordination, eyesight, or muscle control. In such cases, the doctor believes that the issue is caused because of the spinal cord or brain blood vessels.
What diseases and conditions are treated by a vascular neurologist?
Here is the list of condition and diseases which the vascular neurologist can treat:
- Head Injury : Head injury with spinal cord or brain injury. Moreover, there is excess bleeding that goes into the brain.
- Blood Vessel Problem : If there is a malformation in the blood vessel along with arteriovenous and venous malformations then it results in a problem.
- Cerebral Vasculitis : It is the condition when brain blood vessels are inflamed.
- Brain Aneurysm : When the brain artery wall becomes large it can rupture and result in bleeding in the brain.
- Stroke : Stroke is caused due to blood clots and results in bleeding in the brain.
What are the different tests performed by a vascular neurologist?
Through his expertise, he can perform different tests for diagnosis and screening. Some of them are mentioned below:
General Health and Screening Tests
It includes urinalysis, spinal fluid analysis, blood culture, Complete blood count (CBC), Liver & Kidney function tests, blood oxygen level, blood pressure screening, Electrolyte tests, and arterial blood gas testing.
EEG stands for Electroencephalogram which helps in recording the brain’s electrical activity. It even helps to diagnose the symptoms like fainting, seizures and blacking out.
Imaging tests include CT scans, nuclear scans, CT scans, MRI, and transcranial ultrasound, and doppler.
What treatment and procedures are performed by a vascular neurologist?
He has expertise and skills to perform different treatments & procedures, but not the surgical approach. Some of the procedures performed by him are:
- Cerebral angiography
- Stroke management recovery including rehabilitation
- Stroke prevention medication including anticoagulants & antiplatelets, which inhibit blood clotting
- IV-tPA, an intravenous medication
- Lumbar puncture (also known as a spinal tap)
- Prevention & management of neurological complications which includes cerebral edema, infection, increased intracranial pressure, and arrhythmias
- Risk screening for stroke
In short, it is a subspecialty of neurology. When you are looking for vascular neurologists, make sure to ask about all their details, know about their experience, and training.