Spine surgery is a medical procedure performed to treat conditions affecting the spine,such as herniated discs, spinal stenosis or spinal fractures.The surgery aims to relieve pain , restore function, and stabilize the spine surgeries, including discectomy, laminectomy, fusion and artificial disc replacement. It’s best to consult with a qualified spine surgeon who can provide more specific information based on your individual case at Spine Surgery in Ludhiana, Neurologist in Punjab.
How to know you need spine surgery:
Some significant symptoms are
- Difficulty in walking and standing
- Significant pain and numbness in your leg
- Leg and Back pain
- Feeling weakness in the back
- Medication and physical therapy doesn’t gives relief
Procedure of the surgery:
- Preparing the patient by making them lie on their back on the operative table. Then cleaning the area after trimming the hair over the surgical site. The patient might be asked to stop taking specific medicines before the procedure. Surgeons perform spinal fusion after giving anesthesia to their patients and make them feel asleep.
- The procedure for spine surgery can vary depending on the specific condition being treated.
- Generally, it involves making an incision in the back or neck to access the affected area of the spine.
- Then the surgeon may remove a portion of a herniated disc, fuse two or more vertebrae together, or decompress the spinal canal to relieve pressure.
- They may use screws, rods, or plates to stabilize the spine during the healing process. The surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia, and the length of the procedure can vary.
- Afterwards, there is a recovery period that may involve physical therapy and follow up appointments.
- Some restrictions after surgery:
- Avoid bending or twisting your back
- Avoid lifting heavy things
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid activities which requires great physical work
- Activities need to be followed:
- Ice your incision 3-4 times
- Don’t sit in same position for longer hours
- Get up and take a walk for 5-10 mins every 3-4 hours
What are the risks?
When it comes to spine surgery, like any other surgery, there are risks involved. Some potential risks includes:
- Blood clots
- Nerve damage
- Complications related to anesthesia
- Nerve damage
- Vertebrae failing to fuse
- Hardware fractures
- Adjacent segment disease
What are the results?
Spine fusion works for broken spine, reshaping the spine and making the spine more stable.
The study results are mixed when the cause of the back pain and neck is unclear. It depends on the specific condition being treated. After surgery many people experience a reduction in pain and an improvement in their ability to move and perform daily activities.
The major results of the surgery are largely up to you. Keeping the positive attitude and diligently performing therapies, maintaining a healthy weight, using correct posture and lifting techniques to avoid re-injuries.
All above, it is best to consult with a qualified spine surgeon Surgery in Ludhiana, Neurologist in Punjab , who can provide more specific information based on your individual situation.